Sunday, November 29, 2009

Birthdays!

I celebrated my 50th birthday on November 17, one of those landmark birthdays. I have never been bothered by my age, but I have found myself contemplating my life a little more thoroughly and taking stock of all I have accomplished and what I still want to do with my life. I have been reading Marianne Williamson's The Age of Miracles,  and really enjoying her thoughts on midlife. We all have some regrets and we all have dreams, but this is no time to get stuck and wallow, but a time to start living each and every day to the fullest if you haven't been doing so yet this far. I believe I have been doing pretty well, but sometimes get stuck on a regret or a sorrow and have to pull myself back to living the moment! I also realize some really great opportunities are fleeting like a three year old granddaughter saying, "Granmma, will you hold me?" while I'm unloading the dishwasher and that instant of saying, "I will be through in a minute," and then realizing this is one of those moments you don't put off, you just grab it and enjoy because someone else will finish unloading or I can come back to it in awhile. As you might guess, this did happen on Thanksgiving day, and I laughed at myself as I quickly ran after her and grabbed her up in my arms.

We have so much to be thankful for everyday no matter our circumstances, no matter our past, our future, our regrets, our happiness, our sorrows. Finding just one simple pleasure in each day can make the difference in whether or not you choose happiness for yourself. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, and let us all remember to be thankful all year and not just during the holidays! Spend some time this week writing about the little things that bring you happiness! (Like scooping up that little one in your arms!) Choose happiness!

3 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a wonderful post. Yes we do have so much to be thankful for. I learned 6 years ago when my first grandchild was born that house work can wait. Thank-you for sharing this today.
God Bless,
Ginger

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Wonderful post. Living in the moment is one of the secrets to living a full and satisfying life.

Charlotte said...

My daughter celebrated her 49th birthday in October. It seems like just yesterday that I was that age. Those years certainly do fly by. Choosing happiness is so important. So many people have so many reasons to be happy but they are always looking for something else that will make them happy. I've decided that knowing the Lord and serving Him is the only way to lasting true happiness. This happiness not only lasts a lifetime. It lasts for eternity.
Blessings and give that little granddaughter a hug for me.
Charlotte