Saturday, February 9, 2008

Writing your way to happiness

One of the fundamental elements of working your way to choosing happiness, is to write about your experience. Research shows that when you write about traumatic incidents that occur in your life, you will find a greater sense of healing and understanding by working through the process in this way. In Choosing Happiness after Divorce: A woman's 52 week guide to living a positive life, I emphasize the importance of journal writing. Journaling provides you with an escape valve to release emotion, to establish goals for yourself, to think through problems that arise and to contemplate all you have to feel grateful for in your life. I encourage you this week to go out and purchase a journal and begin to utilize the benefits of putting pen to paper. I know... you hated writing in school, why would you want to do it now? Because at this point in your life, writing is about you and your life, not an assignment that might feel like a punishment. When you begin, you may find difficulty in writing more than a sentence or two if you have never written in a journal before, but taking this time to write about all you are feeling and experiencing will help you in the end. I suggest that you write a little each day, though certainly, any amount is helpful. Whether you write for great lengths or in short bursts, take the time. Feel like writing a mean spirited email to that ex? Instead, write it in your journal and be done with the impulse. I am going to encourage you each week to avoid anger and meaness towards your ex. These only stall your healing and add nothing to your choice to be happy. So take out that pen and paper and get started. An idea for you to begin with this week: write a list of as many things as you can think of that bring you pleasure. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Divorce Coach said...

Great advice. Many of my clients have found that keeping a written record of their feelings during divorce has really helped them to cope. Congratulations on the publication of your book.

Annie O'Neill
newhorizons-divorcecoaching.co.uk

Unknown said...

Excellent advice. I started journaling during the last years of my marriage, when I was also having teenager troubles. That was 8 years ago. I go through spurts where I will write every day and then I'll go a week without writing at all. Sometimes it is a few sentences and sometimes it is pages long.
Journaling became a very important part of my life in July 2007. My 25yr. old daughter passed away in a scuba diving accident. Being able to write my feelings down has helped tremendously in my walk down the road of grief.
Writing is a great release of feelings and emotions that may not otherwise get released. I don't like to talk about what I am feeling because most people don't really listen but I will write what I am feeling because I am doing it for myself.
Jane, congratulations on your book. I can't wait to read it. While I feel I have moved past my divorce, there are so many other things in life that can have an effect on happiness.