Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Finding balance, order, rhythm and harmony in your life

"Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony."
-Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton is one of my favorite authors. His work takes real study and heavy thinking and I enjoy greatly the challenge his writings offer. I came across this quote and wanted to share with you because I think we sometimes look for happiness to be an intensity and if we do not feel it intensely, we think somehow, we are missing out on the happiness, but while we certainly may have those moments of intense happiness, most of the time, it will be revealed in a matter of balance, order, rhythm and harmony in our lives. While going through divorce, or any upheaval in life, all of these may seem elusive, but this is where we have to begin to CHOOSE the happiness, to look for it in the small things in life and seek to bring balance back to a world that has gone out of your control, to enjoy the rhythm of the day to day routines, to find order and harmony in your new life and stop looking for things to be the same as they were before. When life offers you a change, unwanted or not, it's time to stop looking at the past and to decide how to move forward. Only you can decide how to do this.

Think about how you can find balance when you may feel like you have too much on your plate. Do you need to cut some activities out? Find a new job? Work less or more hours? To make order out of what may seem like chaos, do you need to work on a to do list? Keep a calendar with every-one's activities listed? Move to a smaller home? Throw out stuff? To find rhythm do you need to set up new routines and rituals for you and the kids? And for harmony, will doing all of the above help everyone feel better and respond to what has to be accomplished in a more cheerful manner? Spend some time writing about how you can bring these four elements into your life to help you in choosing happiness everyday!

2 comments:

Latasha Eckert said...

Hi Jane, I strongly agree with what you say here about creating your own happiness. A teacher recently shared a similar message with me and I really took it to heart. I have stopped searching for the bad in my relationship and am letting the little things go, because I realized that I can control my own life and focus on the good. It's a constant process, I'm learning, but it is worth it to keep my sanity and keep on smiling.

I've added a link to your page on my blog, latashasdivorceblog.blogspot.com. Your words are really meaningful and I hope that you are successful in getting your book and your message out there!

Musings of A Minister said...

Excellent post. I hope your book is doing well.