Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Perspective, perspective, perspective

Some days I wonder if anyone reads my blog! Hmmm? I always hope there are one or two of you out there! Or maybe hundreds! :) Yesterday we woke up to an unexpected snow fall! What a surprise to open the curtains and see almost four inches of snow! It is just so unusual for this part of Tennessee, but that's fine by me! Having lived in New Mexico most of my adult life, snow was a given at least once during the winter and the last three years I lived in New Mexico, I lived in the south central mountains and snow was a regular occurrence so I miss a good snow fall and was thrilled to see one here! This made me stop and think about how the changes that occur for us after divorce often leave us yearning for how things were instead of enjoying all the new aspects of our lives. Change is tough under the best of circumstances, but throw divorce into the mix and every little change in your life becomes jarring and unnerving. This is where changing perspective can help you during this tough time.

When you begin to feel frustrated due to one of the changes you are dealing with, pause for a moment and see if you can find the positive. After my divorce, when I had to start relying on my self to do all the jobs around the house, at first I wanted to feel sorry for myself and ask the question why me? But I soon started feeling the self confidence that comes from taking the responsibility on for myself and each change became a challenge to meet head on instead of something to dread. When I moved to Tennessee and left behind my beloved New Mexico, I didn't want to recognize many of the changes as good. I missed many things about my home state, but when I applied the change in perspective, I soon noticed how the changes I had to face weren't negative after all.

In your journal, write about the changes that are frustrating you and how you might change your perspective to enjoy the surprise and meet the challenge head on! Take time to think it through when you feel overwhelmed and are asking the question, why me? Change can be exciting and fulfilling when we take the time to change our perspective. Choosing happiness really is about changing perspective and changing attitudes! Hang in there! Choose happiness!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to thank you for the blog posts - I have them come through an RSS reader and they always brighten my day! Julie

Zz said...

me too!

Unknown said...

Thanks to my followers! You made my day! I am trying to follow the advice of a veteran blogger who says you have to post every day so look for more coming your way. I'm also going to continue with one recipe a week, posting it on Thursdays. Have a happy day! j

Zoe said...

I'm one of your newer readers. Lots of great points on your blog. Looks like you've been at this awhile and I could learn a thing or two from you. Just started a divorce blog of my own too, to chronicle every day of my divorce:

http://divorcefromdayone.blogspot.com