Thursday, February 25, 2010

Southwestern Black Bean Casserole

Thursday is recipe day! This is one of my favorite casseroles of all time. I adapted it from a recipe that appeared in Sage, an insert in the Albuquerque Journal, many years ago. It is an easy dish, and healthy if you follow the suggestions in my notes. I hope you and your family or friends will enjoy it!

1 pound lean ground beef, turkey or chicken breast strips (which is my favorite)

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 can of black beans (or double and cut back on the meat or add no meat to make this a vegetarian dish)

1 8 ounce can tomato sauce

1 Tbs. chile powder

1 can Ro*tel

2 cups of broken tortilla chips (this uses up the "crumbs" in the bottom of the bag)

1 cup light Daisy Sour Cream

1/2 cup scallions

1 - 2 cups of grated Monterey Jack Cheese

1 cup lettuce, shredded

3/4 cup of grape tomatoes sliced in half

(NOTE: I use baked tortilla chips to cut down on the calories. Choose turkey or chicken to additionally lower the calorie count. I choose Daisy brand sour cream because I know it has no chemicals and is TRUE sour cream. [Compare labels next time you shop!] I use real cheese, but the lower end of the amount listed above so I get the flavor, satisfaction, and richness of cheese without too many calories. I always feel like the low fat cheeses don't satisfy and it takes more to get the "taste" of cheese. )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Brown the meat in a large skillet; add garlic and saute until tender. Drain off any fat. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, chile powder, and Ro*tel. Heat to boiling. Place broken chips in bottom of casserole. Top with bean and meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for about 15 mins until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven. Spread sour cream over top. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve with shredded lettuce and tomatoes.

Enjoy!

No comments: