Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chocolate chip and oat scones

Those of you have the book, Choosing Happiness After Divorce,  know that each chapter includes a recipe. I have decided I should start including at least one recipe a week in the blog to encourage you to take time for yourself and your family, or friends, to cook or bake and sit down together to enjoy each other's company and conversation. So here's my first recipe.

During the summer when fresh fruits and vegetables abound it is easy to stay on the healthy straight and narrow, but once the cold long days of winter set in, I start craving the carbs like cookies, cakes and homemade breads. Today my Scottish heritage kicked into gear and oat scones were calling my name! I did some sleuthing around and eventually put together a recipe that was delicious, and with the oats, at least a little bit nutritious; however, I could not resist adding mini chocolate chips, instead of the traditional currents.

Chocolate Chip Oat Scones

1 1/2 c. unbleached flour
1/4 c. turbinado sugar (marketed as Sugar in the Raw)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. cold butter (1 stick)
1 c. old fashioned oats
zest of 1 orange (I did not have an orange, but used a clementine instead)
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 Tbs. turbinado sugar
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray or use a piece of parchement paper to keep scones from sticking.

Place butter in bottom of large bowl. Measure flour, 1/2 c. turbinado (you can substitute this sugar with light brown sugar), baking powder, and baking soda into bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is well incorporated and in small bits. Add the oats and zest; mix in with the pastry blender; add the chocolate chips and stir into the mixture with a fork. Add the buttermilk and mix quickly with a fork until buttermilk is distributed, but do not over mix. Use hands to form into a ball. It will seem dry at first, but squeeze it together and it will take shape. Pat dough into a 7 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange on cookie sheet, leaving room in between each scone. Sprinkle with the rest of the turbinado sugar or any coarse grain sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

Makes 8 scones. Serve with hot tea. And should you happen to have some clotted cream around you could always serve with a dollop or so. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Jane,

First, let me say that I LOVE scones, and this recipe looks wonderful! I will use it this week...I like to make scones in advance and always have some in the freezer for unexpected guests...scones are always a hit!

And I really want to thank you for your wonderful comment on my post the other day. I've been absolutely overwhelmed by my house, and have considered moving, but all the while knowing that it isn't the house...its me. And would you believe that I have a Feng Sheu (how do you spell it?!) book? I bought it years ago, and I do believe in the principles they set forth to bring about a peaceful environment. My house has a good floor plan to work with, with a few tweaks here and there...now I need to control it rather than having it control me.."it" meaning my "stuff". There is a spiritual side of this too...in "letting go"...again, it falls under control. I have not been through a divorce, but all of my sisters have, and I've seen the effect he has on everyone. Letting go and starting over is truly a choice...and that applies to every other area of our lives as well. We have choices, we have options...even with my daughter's disability, I find that when I am saying to myself "I can't", that it isn't true. It may be more difficult, but I CAN do whatever my friends can do, if I plan and arrange things, or if I CHOOSE to get off my pity pot and live my life.

I think we could talk about this for hours! But I wont write a book...just want to tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful comment and taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I'm going to get my book out and check the bookstore for the one you suggested...I need all the help I can get!

God bless you, Jane!

Mary