Monday, January 25, 2010

Joy!

I am the owner of a Black Lab/German Short haired Pointer mix named Holley. She is a rescue dog who entered our lives on New Year's Eve 2008.  Holley had been hit by a car when they found her, however, she eluded capture for three weeks. A veterinarian fixed her up and then she stayed with the rescue group for four months while she healed before she was put up for adoption . My husband then ran across her in a google search, hunting for a dog to keep me company when he is on the road and thus she showed up at our house on New Year's Eve, and because the woman who brought her told us that it was determined she was one year old, we designated that day as her first birthday. She has come a long way from the skittish, scared of her own shadow dog that arrived that day, and she has become a much loved part of the family.

Now the reason I tell you about her is this: Holley loves to run. Her enthusiasm is overwhelming actually. If I go into the bedroom for anything, she follows me down the hall in hope that I am changing clothes to go for a run. Once I do change, she is so excited that I can hardly lace up my shoes and get out the door. Then she wiggles and squirms and runs in circles until I tell her to sit and put on the leash, then she takes off like a shot to the end of her retractable leash, jumping for joy. I watch her some days and have often remarked to Steve how great it would be if we could all have the joy of a dog, the pure simple joy of putting your whole heart and soul into something you love! But this is the thing, we can have that joy. We can have that excitement in our lives if we just remember that all we have is right now, this moment! Regardless of the trials and tribulations we face, we just have right now to live and so even when you are carrying a heavy burden, if you remember to celebrate the little moments, the small joys that occur throughout the day, it won't seem so difficult. We all have problems, we all have heartache and pain, but we can all have moments of joy too. Take time to enjoy. Write about at least one little joy at the end of each day! Choose Happiness!
Carpe Diem! (Seize the day!)


No comments: