Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's the little things

This week, I have been getting back into my exercise routine of a walk/run six days a week and at least three days of some yoga. I had neglected myself greatly through the holidays, and then directly after the holidays, we had a cold spell here that was actually too cold for outdoor activity. And because our house is not built for that kind of cold, I had trouble even making myself unbundle enough from my warm clothes to go through a yoga sequence. So this week, as the sun returned and the temperature came back to normal, I was out on the road with my dog and stretching and breathing through the downward dog and cobra. Needless to say, I have been a bit sore and just as evening came on, I was sinking into a hot bath with a glass of wine by my side. And this is when I realized, there is nothing like a hot bath, something that I have only truly come to enjoy over the last five years or so, as I have always been a fan of the shower. I started thinking about the joy such a small pleasure can provide; I also thought about how fortunate I am to even be able to have such a luxury, as I read all week about the devastation the people of Haiti are experiencing.

I have spent some time this week counting my blessings, taking pleasure in the small things that life has to offer. Regardless of our personal circumstances, the hardships of divorce, of single parenting, of being lonely or perhaps any other difficulty you may be facing, we have so much to be thankful for in this country, in the "ease" of our lives every day. Take some time this week to appreciate something small, like a hotbath, and again realize, happiness is yours if you just choose it. Writing in your journal each day one small thing to be thankful for or something which makes you smile, can help you realize it is the little things that matter most at times. And it is the little things that buoy us up, contributing to a fulfilling happy life.

Choose Happiness!

No comments: